The Systems Engineer’s responsibilities are to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of information systems that support both internal and external client core business functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing software, hardware and associated operating systems. The Systems Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues to maximize the benefit and value of technology solutions for our clients.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Collaborate with cross functional team members and vendors as required to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes
- Work with team members, decision makers, and client stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems issues
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to support system-related products and services on behalf of clients
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems
- Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s and client’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies
- Integrate servers, including database, e-mail, print, and backup servers and their associated software into enterprise systems
- Ensure system connectivity of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports
- Provide orientation and training to end users for all modified and new systems
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Excellent software support and troubleshooting experience with both internal and external clients
- Proven experience in the design, development/configuration, implementation, maintenance, and support of software systems, applications, and related technology products
- 5+ years experience with strong knowledge of server and application virtualization and/or IaaS (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- 3+ years experience with Cloud/SaaS
- Operating systems: Microsoft Windows Server OS, Linux: Red Hat, Ubuntu or CentOS
- Microsoft SQL
- Microsoft Active Directory, SAML and Cloud Directories
- Messaging and email: Microsoft Office 365, Exchange and Postfix
- Web Server technologies and services (e.g. Microsoft IIS, Apache, etc.)
- Strong understanding of networking (e.g. TCP/IP, DNS, VLANs, Cloud networking (SDN), etc.)
- Experience with scripting PowerShell or Python
- Proven experience with systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices
- Proven discipline and competence with best practices surrounding change and release management, testing, operational documentation
- Knowledge of applicable security best practices and requirements (e.g. Payment Card Industry – PCI, HIPAA)
- Proven track record in understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives
University degree in computer science and/or 5+ years equivalent work experience.
- Client centric focus.
- Proven project coordination and management skills.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong client service orientation.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- On-call availability on a rotational basis required.
- After-hours and weekend work as required.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- Occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as technology hardware and peripherals.
NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be constructed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. This job description may be changed or updated at any time without notice.